2018-04-04

And I've seen the Promised Land

I dag för 50 år sedan sköts dem amerikanske medborgarrättskämpen Martin Luther King till döds på en balkong på Hotell Lorraine, i Memphis, Tennessee. Martin Luther King var bland så mycket annat också en strålande talare och retoriker. Mest känt är det "I have a dream"-tal som han höll vid Lincolnmonumentet i Washington, D.C den 28 augusti 1963. Martin Luther King erhöll Nobels fredspris 1964.

Även det tal som Martin Luther King höll kvällen innan han mördades har nått ikonisk status. Dess visionära och profetiska klang lämnar ingen oberörd. Hedra gärna Martin Luther Kings minne och hans kamp för rättvisa och en bättre värld genom att lyssna på hans sista tal här. Och håll hans fana högt genom att fortsätta hans kamp. The Promised Land is still not here.

Ett utdrag ur hans sista tal återfinns nedan.

And then I got into Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some or our sick white brothers?

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And I am so happy tonight.

I'm not worried about anything.

I'm not fearing any man!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!

Inga kommentarer: